Monday, October 20, 2008






Today I got to spend a lot of time with Kai. I just cherish every moment with him. He had kind of a busy day. He had some blood drawn for the copper level tests. He had an ultrasound done on his bladder and that came back looking normal. The occupational therapist worked with bottle feeding him today. At first he was doing good, until the formula sat in the back of his throat and he wasn't quite sure what he was suppose to do with it. He had a real difficult time with it and had to work really hard to eat. They only did this for about half of his feeding and then did the rest of his feeding through the tube. They are doing a swallowing evaluation on him tomorrow morning. Depending on what they find will determine what they are doing next with his feedings. This evening Levi joined us (he had to go back to work today). Levi and Kai snoozed again in the recliner. They seem to really enjoy doing that together. This evening the orthopedic doctor came and looked at Kai. He wants to try this little harness thing on him for his hips. This may help put his hips back into place, which we are really hoping that it does. They are probably also going to be doing x-rays on his wrists again to get a better look at his bones. It sounds like they are going to do some splints on his wrists also. So it was a busy day for Kai.

Tomorrow I am heading back to St. Peter after I visit Kai in the morning. I will be staying down there until mid-day Wednesday. I really miss Gavin and Jace. It is hard to be away from my family. I wish I could be in both places all the time. Hopefully we will be able to bring Kai home soon. It doesn't sound like it is going to be this week :( Although it is going to be very challenging when Kai does come home, I am very anxious for that day to come. We will have to learn how to take care of him and make sure that we meet all of his needs.

Gavin and Jace have had a lot going on in their little lives. Gavin is going to the eye doctor on Thursday. He didn't pass his vision test when he had his Early Childhood Screening. He has also been squinting (sp?) and complaining that he can't see certain things. So I guess we will see how that shakes out. Next week we meet with Jace's teacher and the speech therapist. We should find out what the game plan is going to be with Jace. The boys are sure keeping us on our toes!;)

Well, this all for today.

4 comments:

Ariane said...

Hi!
Kai is so precious. The snuggle pics with dad are always so cute. You guys have had a busy day and it sounds like Kai is such a trooper! I can't imagine how torn you are to be up there while the boys are down here but at least it is only temporary and soon you will all be together. We are praying for you guys and hope the tests can help determine the next steps for you. Please don't hesitate to call us if you need anything at all. :-) Ariane, Brad and Alayna

Anonymous said...

He is such a cutie!! My prayers are with you and ALL your boys :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me over night with you. We are all thinking of you all everyday. We are praying for you guys. I hope they can find out soon on what he has so he can get better and come home.

I told Ryan that Gavin and Jace are visiting. Well all day so far Ryan keeps asking if Gavin is coming yet? We can't wait to have the boys.

Kai is a fighter and he'll make it through all this!

Love you all
Your sis Mel

Anonymous said...

Kai is a beautiful little boy! Small strides are great strides and everyday is a Blessing. Your family will remain in my prayers. I work(ed) with Grandma Diane and she keeps all of us posted. Your family is so strong and positive. I admire all of you.
Sincerely,
Cindy Anderson